Tuesday, May 4, 2010

65 Miles and Counting

65 miles is hard work.  over 12 miles of hills (mountains!!), over 5000 feet of vertical climbing, and 8 hours in the saddle.  i did it.  yay me!!  even crazier, another flat tire, the bike is in the shop being checked out as we speak!

but the most amazing things about this past weekend are the following:
1. there is no team like this team.  One of my teammates, Karen, actually gave me a pair of bicycle shoes.  
2. one of my team mates, who is at a minimum double my age, not only finished the ride, but put us all to shame on the hills.  that woman is unstoppable.
3. you can see bears while you are riding, i unfortunately missed it, but  the people right behind me did..
4. realizing recovery rides are important and make Monday so much better...
5. when you complete a ride that is called the "cookie" ride you do think about having cookies at the end, but junior's cheesecake is by far a better choice!  thanks bill!

and that is really just the beginning of how amazing this has been.

I spent last night cleaning and degreasing my chain, coach henry scolded me for a dirty chain on Saturday.  :( As karma would have it, I am allergic to the degreaser I used and my whole hand is swollen and itchy and red.  should have taken better care of the bike.  Also, couldn't get the new pedals on, the other reason the bike is in the shop.  hopefully i will get some time on the new pedals before Saturday!!!  70 miles!  flatish miles, but 70 miles.  wish me luck and  feel free to donate to the cause!!

1 comment: